Qin Qian (錢琴), Ph.D.,
OCEESA President of 2018
Lamar University, Beaumont, TX
Phone: (409) 880-7559
Dear OCEESA members and friends,
It is my great honor to serve as your 2018 Overseas Chinese Environmental Engineers & Scientists Association (OCEESA) President. I sincerely wish each of you and your family a productive, healthy and happy New Year. I would also like to congratulate all newly elected OCEESA officers and board members. With the strong background in the fields of environmental science and engineering, I believe our OCEESA officers and directors together can resolve today’s global environmental challenges. I am looking forward to working with all of you for the progress of our beloved OCEESA in 2018.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Dr. Jy S. Wu, OCEESA President of 2017, for his outstanding contributions on promoting OCEESA becoming stronger and exceedingly comprehensive professional organization. Under his excellent leadership and service, OCEESA has successfully accomplished the following major events in 2017: 1. Asian American Engineer of the Year (AAEOY) Award and Chinese Institute of Engineers National Council (CIE-USA NC) Meeting, February 24-26, 2017, Bellevue, WA. Prof. Chin-Pao Huang, former OCEESA President of 1992, received the Lifetime Achievement Award at the AAEOY banquet. 2. The 100-year Centennial (1917-2017) Celebration Meeting of CIE-US, October 13-15, 2017, Palisades, New York. Dr. John C.P. Huang and Mr. Anmin Liu received the gold medals from CIE for their outstanding achievements. 3. Mainland-Taiwan Environmental Protection Conference (MTEPC), November 18-23, 2017, Taipei, Taiwan. With ten members attended the conference, OCEESA was well represented and played a pivotal role in the 18th MTEPC.
Our work this year is a continuation of the foundation nicely laid out by the officers and members in the past,
(1) We will continue our effort in the introduction of an environmental/science competition program to highlight OCEESA’s commitment to the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education.
(2) We will use upcoming conference as a platform to recruit more associate members from both overseas and locally.
(3) We will update OCEESA website to include upcoming news and announcements, reports and activities in a timely manner. More pictures of achievements of committee and board members will be displayed.
As of this moment, we are having two events scheduled for 2018:
(1) 2018 AAEOY, Albuquerque, New Mexico, April 6-7, sponsored by New Mexico chapter of the Chinese Institute of Engineers-USA (CIE-SOCAL), the link below is the detail events: http://www.aaeoy.org/files/2018_AAEOY_Program_at_a_Glance.pdf
(2) Chinese Institute of Engineers-USA (CIE-SOCAL) Fall meeting, to be scheduled.
I strongly encourage each member to participate and support these events.
I would like to thank every committee/ board member for your time, contributions, and efforts being made to ensure that OCEESA organization continue to strive. I would appreciate your continuous support and participation to ensure that OCEESA reaches its maximum potential. Please feel free to contact me if you have any suggestions or comments concerning the programs. Let us continue to work together to make a stronger OCEESA we all can be proud of.
Qin Qian, Ph.D. 錢琴
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Phone: (409) 880-7559
2018 OCEESA President
January 9, 2018